If you are looking for the real Memphis-style side ribs, here is a perfect recipe that combines rubs as well as sauce. This is a renowned recipe of Memphis fishermen who love to eat meat. They would all sit around on fishing chairs and smash this meal down. Others would prefer to take it out on the trolling boat to enjoy throughout the day.
For the ribs and rub
- 2 kg of pork side ribs
- 2 tsp salt
- 4 tsp sweet paprika
- ½ cayenne pepper
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 tsp hot sauce
- ½ cup cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp yellow mustard
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- Prepare the ribs by removing the silver skin membrane. Also, remove any excess fat or meat. Preheat the oven to 325F.
- In a small bowl, mix together the cayenne powder, salt, and pepper for seasoning. Apply the mixture on both sides of the ribs.
- Place the ribs on a shallow roasting pan and add water until it reaches 1/4 inch on side of the pan. Cover with a foil and bake in the center of the oven for 70-90 minutes until meat is tender.
- Stir the sauce together in saucepan and heat over medium heat for 8-10 minutes.
- If using a barbeque, preheat it to medium-low. Oil the grill and brush the ribs with sauce. Barbeque the ribs while tossing them to ensure they are heated through for about 8-10 minutes. As you turn the ribs over, continue to brush with sauce in order to give the ribs more flavor.
- If using a gas grill, preheat to 225F and add the wood chips in the smoker boxer as per the manufacturer’s instructions. Preheat the grill to high and reduce to medium when smoke appears.
- To serve, cut into 1 rib portion and serve immediately.
Calories 951, Carbohydrates 35 g, Protein 67 g, Fibre 2 g, Fat 60 g, Sodium 1846 mg